Nowdays, many food items have become popular as Superfoods like berries, wheatgrass, brocolli, garlic, etc. But as per various reputed National health organisations, their role is questionable. One main reason for it is that we usually can’t consume them in a quantity required to give the desired results. Also, they are usually expensive.
But we have one food product which I consider not just as a Superfood but as a complete Super Meal, and it is the Sprouts.
Sprouts are basically germinated seeds. They are very rich in a variety of nutrients. Sprouts can be prepared from various lentils and beans like moong, moth, kala chana(black chickpea), lobia, rajma, etc.
A large population in developing countries like India suffers from malnutrition. Same way many people are now suffering from overnutrition, i.e. having more food than required by the body resulting in obesity and related morbidity. Adding sprouts in your daily diet is the remedy for both of these. Sprouts provide almost all the nutrients required by the body thus very good for malnutrition of all types. Also having a bowl of sprouts as per the recipe below will keep your appetite full so that you don’t keep hogging between the meals thus helping you in weight loss.
Most of the people are not aware about the huge wealth of nutrients stored in sprouts. Many don’t like the taste. I will be telling you people about the benefits of sprouts and a recipe to make sprouts salad much more nutritious and also very tasty.
I used kala chana for my sprouts salad. Sprouts are prepared by soaking the kala chana in water and then lightly boiling after they have germinated. This makes them easy to digest. You can add almost anything to a bowl of sprouts. In my preparation, I have used the following:
- Kala chana (main ingredient)
- Almonds, cashew, raisins, walnut
- Roasted Groundnuts
- Chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger
- Salt, chaat masala, pepper, triphala churn, crushed flax seeds
- Honey, olive oil, some vinegar, lemon juice
There is no fixed quantity of ingredients. You may add all these as per your taste. To this bowl, you can also add paneer cubes, pumpkin seeds, etc to make it even more nutritious.
- Very easy to prepare.
- Very cheap.
- Very filling so you won’t crave for junk food.
- Though it is good for breakfast but can be eaten any time.
- Any body can have it, irrespective of your medical condition.
- There is no fixed recipe. You can make it the way you want.
- It serves as a complete meal in itself.
- It helps in weight loss as it controls junk eating and the fiber content helps in digestion.
- There are many things which are very good for health but not so tasty like flax seeds, triphala churn, garlic, etc. Such things easily blend in it and you won’t feel much and still get their benefits.
Very high in proteins, dietary fiber, iron (about 40% daily requirement), folic acid, Vitamin C, and almost every vitamin & mineral. It is low in saturated fats.
- Proteins – very essential for growing children, pregnant & lactating mothers.
- Carbohydrates – Source of energy for the body.
- Fats – Fats are also essential for our body but in limited quantity. Sprouts salad will provide you some amount of good fats and very less saturated fats.
- Iron – Required by body mainly for blood formation and other functions.
- Folic acid – Very important for pregnant mothers to prevent birth defects in the baby.
- Vitamin C – Required for many functions of the body. It also helps in absorption of iron from the food we eat.
- Sprouts like kala chana also contain good amount of potassium and very low sodium which is very good to maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- They also have good amounts of calcium, and other vitamins & minerals.
- Such a bowl of sprouts salad has a very high content of dietary fiber which helps in digestion, prevents constipation, and decreases the absorption of bad cholesterol into the blood.
Ideally everyone should have a bowl of sprouts for the breakfast daily. You must change the main lentil of your sprout salad to have a more variety of nutrients.
This post has been written to emphasize you the importance of sprouts for meeting our daily nutrition requirements, especially protein and iron. This will be submitted for a very good awareness campaign being done by Livogen
Stay healthy, stay happy.